One bummer about our paver driveway is that the pavers show tire tread marks and the pavers soak up any kind of oily material which forms a stain. Here you can see the driveway with the tread marks. So we decided to have the driveway cleaned and sealed. I tried cleaning the driveway myself atRead more about Sealing the driveway[…]
It’s been about six months since I’ve updated our blog, and about 8 months since we received our final sign-off from the City. As with any project, there are always little things left to do. We did pull back some small items towards the end as we had construction fatigue, which also accounts for ourRead more about Continuing the journey … more new from old[…]
With a larger property, a front and a back porch, and several decks, we needed some hoses to wash things off. This became more necessary once we got a dog, as we have “wee-wee” pads on a bunch of porches for him to go to the bathroom on, since our yard is still pretty muddy. Read more about Hosed[…]
At long last, our driveway is complete and are able to park our cars in the garage. All that remains is the apron, sidewalk, and gutter at the mouth of our driveway, which all needs to be installed due to the fact that we turned a normal sidewalk into our new driveway, as it wasRead more about Driveway![…]
The landscapers put down a bunch of the flag stone stepping stones on Friday, and they look great.
The landscapers have installed perhaps half or more of the plants called out on the landscape plan so far. Thinks look sparse and a bit barren, but that is just want it will look like until we get the shredded wood bark down, and things grow in a bit.
We moved in two weeks ago, about a week an a half after our original planned moving date. Unfortunately, for the first 10 days of living in the house, we had no kitchen or pantry. The kitchen was in disarray because of the remediation efforts from the plumbing leak. In the pantry, we found someRead more about Move in![…]
Three days before move-in, catastrophe has struck our new house. Over the weekend, a plumbing fitting connecting the kitchen island pot filler to the water line had a crack, and developed a leak. It seems our plumbers over-tightened a plastic fitting and it caused a crack. The water dripped down behind the stove, and foundRead more about Catastrophe[…]
The master tub is finally in! Because we didn’t plan on having an access hole from the bottom to attach the drain, it gave the plumber some difficulty doing it from the top. The first attempt leaked. I am always amazed at how much planning and thinking things through is required to build a house.
We finally removed the office trailer we’ve been using for over a year to manage the construction. Like the roll-off containers, we had to wait until we could rebuild the ramp necessary to get them out. It was a tight squeeze getting it out the driveway. We now have a temporary office inside the basement.